Sound effects are effects incorporated into RuneScape Classic to enhance certain actions such as fighting a monster. They are a members-only feature and as such corresponding sound effects file would not be loaded on free-to-play worlds. There are 34 unique sounds that can be found while playing the game. Out of those, 3 are combat related and involve a set of 2 sounds - when it is the player's turn to attack and when it's the enemy turn. A sound called "combat1" was intended to be triggered when training at a dummy and when cutting a web, but no such sound exists in the client.
Many of the sound effects were created by long time Jagex sound designer Ian Taylor, who was working with a custom softsynth developed by Andrew Gower himself, and the rest were done with the help of Gill Gower.
Unique sound effects appear for the following actions:
|Being under attack|
|Fighting against armoured npcs|
|Fighting against undead npcs|
|Fighting against all other types of npcs or a player|
|Fighting against a dummy / Cutting a web|
|Being victorious after the fight|
|Dying after the fight|
|After issuing a projectile|
|Running out of ammo|
|Casting successfully a spell|
|Failing to cast a spell|
|Activating a prayer|
|Deactivating a prayer|
|Recharging prayer points at an altar|
|Passing through a secret door|
|Opening a door|
|Closing a door|
|Filling a jug, pot, or bucket|
|Taking an object (Picking it up)|
|Dropping an object|
|Paying at a shop|
|Picking up from a resource field such as wheat, potato, etc|
|Operating something such as hopper or spinning wheel|
|Clicking on an inventory item to equip|
|Doing prospect at a rock|
|Finding a gem whilst mining|
|Cutting a gem|
|Smithing at an anvil|
|Advancing a level|
Special Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Karamja/Crandor dungeon door, despite being classified as a secret door does not produce the corresponding sound.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There are places where the opening and closing doors sound effects play consecutively. Notably the gates that re-lock themselves after being open.
- Sound effects such as those for cutting down trees, making a fire and other ones never got into Runescape Classic.
- In Runescape Classic hitting a dummy triggers a sound effect with no duration. This was possibly an oversight or could have been forgotten.
- Some skills feature both a sound effect and a bubble