- For information on training this skill, see the Woodcutting training article.
Woodcutting is a skill available on RuneScape Classic. The skill consists of cutting down trees and obtaining logs. A higher woodcutting level will give players the ability to cut different types of trees, and a better chance of chopping down a tree. After being cut down, a tree will respawn once a certain amount of time has elapsed, depending on the type of tree.
Messages[edit | edit source]
It is possible to fail to cut a tree, in which the following message will appear:
You slip and fail to hit the tree
- The player doesn't get the logs, and the tree remains standing
- If the player fails to cut the tree, they must click again
Types of logs[edit | edit source]
Many different kinds of logs can be gathered with the woodcutting skill at increasingly higher woodcutting levels. All logs can be used to make bows with the fletching skill. Furthermore, logs can be burnt with the firemaking skill. However, unlike RuneScape 2, Only regular logs can be used for firemaking, not the higher level logs.
Types of axes[edit | edit source]
The better the axe, the better the chance of successfully chopping a tree and receiving logs. Unlike RuneScape 2, there is no woodcutting level requirement to use each axe for woodcutting.
|Axe type||Picture||Shop Price|
|Black axe||Not sold|
|Mithril axe||Not sold|
|Adamantite axe||Not sold|
|Rune axe||Not sold|
Tree locations[edit | edit source]
|Oak Tree||Gnome Stronghold, Seers Village, Grand Tree|
|Willow tree||North-west of the Seers Village bank, west of the Grand Tree|
|Dramen Tree||Entrana dungeon|
|Maple Tree||Seers Village|
|Yommi Tree||Kharazi Jungle fertile earth|
|Yew Tree||South-west of the Seers Village bank|
|Magic Tree||South of Seers Village bank, Gnome Stronghold|
Log certificates[edit | edit source]
Some types of logs can be exchanged for certificates. The certificates are worth 5 logs of that type, and stack for easier carrying and trading of large numbers of logs. Chuck on the north side of East Ardougne will exchange the following logs for certificates and vice versa:
Quests[edit | edit source]
Some quests have woodcutting level requirements:
- Level 36 is required to cut the Dramen Tree in Lost City
- Level 50 is required to trim fallen Yommi Tree into a Totem Pole in Legend's Quest
The following quests offer woodcutting experience rewards:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, there were only normal trees in Runescape Classic, and the experience gained when cutting trees raised with every level you gained according to the formula . 
- When the skill fletching was released, Jagex added new trees for members and made a fixed limit of experience on normal trees. It was 12.5 experience briefly and later changed to 25 experience. While Jagex compensated for this by making woodcutting a 1-click system, i.e. left clicking a tree to chop it, many players (especially free users) were upset that reaching a high-level woodcutting would take an unfortunately longer period of time.
- Before the fletching update players had to woodcut by using an axe (right click) on the tree.
- This was because axes, unlike pickaxes, are wieldable and have higher preference in the available item actions
- Woodcutting was the first skill that a player achieved level 99 in, on 28 August 2001 by Everdred.
- It is possible to get Magic Logs at level 50 woodcutting from Yommi Trees.
- The list of choppable trees in RuneScape Classic and their numbers are as follows:
- 1318 Normal trees with pointy tops
- 1215 Normal trees with rounded tops
- 3139 Dead trees (primarily in the wilderness)
- 1 Dramen tree
- 186 Oak trees
- 25 Willow trees
- 21 Maple trees
- 16 Yew trees
- 9 Magic trees
- 47 Dense Jungle Trees (of three types)
- 29 Dense Jungle Palms (of two types)
- 11 possible places to grow a Yommi tree
- As well as 116 Cactus, which use the woodcutting skill to determine how successful you will be at extracting water into a water skin and do award woodcutting experience.
References[edit | edit source]