|Released||24 September 2002 (Update)|
Tutorial Island eventually became the first place a player loads into when joining RuneScape Classic. It was added to the game on 24 September 2002. The website update which announced it's arrival may be found here. It is possible to skip the tutorial by going to Options and selecting the "Skip tutorial" option.
After players register and successfully login to their account, they will be immediately prompted to select their character's gender and clothing colour. The player is then instructed on how to use various skills and receives some basic items. The island is similar to the Tutorial Island's which may be found in later successors of RuneScape. After skipping or completing Tutorial Island, the player will appear in Lumbridge, on the same tile where a player will go if they are to die.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Walkthrough and layout[edit | edit source]
- After the player selects their gender and clothing, they will be spawned into the first chamber of Tutorial Island. A bronze axe, tinderbox, and a piece of cookedmeat[ ] will be added to their inventory immediately.
- After speaking with the Guide and selecting either of the two available dialogue options, they will be prompted to then continue through the western door, to speak with the Control guide.
- After selecting either of the Control guides dialogue options, the player will again be told to proceed through a door to the north, where they will take their first steps outside into the world of RuneScape.
- In a small fenced off area just to the west, are 3 Combat instructors. Speaking to any of them will result in the player receiving a wooden shield and bronze longsword which they are then asked to equip, by clicking them in the inventory on the upper right hand part of the screen.
- After this the player will then continue through a door to the north east, where they will learn about cooking via the Cooking instructor. Speaking to him will result in one piece of raw ratmeat being added to the player inventory, which they are told to try cooking on the nearby range. Doing so will always result in the first piece of meat being burnt, and speaking to the Cooking instructor will result in him giving another piece to the player. Successfully cooking the rat meat and speaking to the Cook will result in the player being allowed to progress through the northern door.
- In this room the Financial advisor will give the player some tips on how to make money in the world of RuneScape. Speaking with him will allow the player to freely pass through the northern door, to an outside area where they will learn fishing.
- The fishing instructors in this area will give the player a net and tell them to try catching a fish by clicking on the northern fishing spot in the water. Doing so successfully will allow the player to progress through the door to the south into the next area.
- In this outdoor area, 3 mining instructors await to teach the player about the mining skill. When speaking with them they will be told to attempt to prospect the rock in the middle of the area. Doing so and then speaking with the Mining instructor allows the player to receive a bronze pickaxe, and the instructions to attempt to mine the rock. Doing so and then speaking with the mining instructor will allow the player to enter the next area to the south.
- In this area the player has a chance to learn about the bank in RuneScape via the Banking assistant's. Any items added here will be saved to the player's bank. Talking with the Banking assistants will allow the player to progress to the next area to the west.
- Here the player will be told about the various adventures to embark on in RuneScape, and the rewards to be won. Speaking with the Quest advisor here will allow the player to return to the outdoors and progress, via the southern door.
- The player will speak with the Wilderness guide here to learn about the Player versus Player available in RuneScape via the Wilderness zone on the map. Doing so allows them to progress onward back indoors through the western door.
- Inside, the Magic instructor awaits to tell the player about the magic skill in Runescape. Speaking with him and choosing either dialogue option will allow the player to receive Runes to cast the windstrike spell, as well as instructions to kill a chicken. Players may progress through the western door regardless of if they attempt to cast a spell on the nearby chicken.
- Here the player will learn about the Fatigue system in RuneScape. Speaking with the Fatigue expert will allow the player to proceed through the western door.
- In the final indoor portion of Tutorial Island the player will learn community guidelines by speaking with the Community instructor. Doing so will allow them to proceed through the final door.
- In this section, players will speak to the Boatman and be sent to Lumbridge to begin their journey in RuneScape!
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
These are the human inhabitants of Tutorial Island, in the order of which they are encountered by players:
- Controls guide
- Combat instructor
- Cooking instructor
- Financial advisor
- Fishing instructor
- Mining instructor
- Bank assistant
- Quest advisor
- Wilderness guide
- Magic Instructor
- Fatigue expert
- Community instructor
Trivia[edit | edit source]
Combat instructor[edit | edit source]
- The player receives no XP for killing the rat and doing and it's death produces no items/drops
- The play cannot kill more than one rat. If they attempt to kill another they will receive the following message:
- That's enough rat killing for now
Cooking instructor[edit | edit source]
- While it is possible to use the Drop trick to obtain multiple Raw rat meat, you will only ever be able to successfully cook one of the meats, burning the rest
- The range which players cook their raw rat meat on is a special scenery object which differs from other ranges found in the game
Fishing instructor[edit | edit source]
- The player may only catch a total of 5 shrimp resulting in a total of 50 fishing xp. If they attempt to fish more shrimp after reaching the limit, they will receive the following message:
- that's enough fishing for now go through the next door to continue the tutorial
Mining instructor[edit | edit source]
- Players may only mine one tin ore. If they attempt to mine more then they will receive the message "Thats[ ] enough mining for now"
Magic instructor[edit | edit source]
- Players may progress past the Magic instructor whether or not they cast a spell on the chicken, as they are directed to
Other[edit | edit source]
- The first time a player types anything into the private or public chatt field and presses the enter key they will receive the following message
- Once you finish the tutorial, typing here send messages to nearby players
- It is possible for a player to get 99 Firemaking and 99 Woodcutting on tutorial island, as there are no limits to the amount of trees which can be cut and fires which may be lit
- Players retain all skills and XP gained and items held in their bank and inventory after leaving tutorial island
- A sinking and sunken Fishing trawler can be seen from the western shore of the island near the Combat instructor
Glitches and oversights[edit | edit source]
- The Combat instructor says the rat has a green combat level when it is in fact a yellowish shade of green
- When talking to the Combat instructor another Combat instructor may take over and continue the dialogue mid-conversation
- The Bank assistant will address female characters as Sir if you talk to them again
- The Fatigue expert can have dialogue triggered that tells players eating food will reduce Fatigue
Classes (Historical)[edit | edit source]
When RuneScape Classic was first released on 4 January 2001, players who made accounts would immediately spawn in Lumbridge. Then between early March 2001 and July 2002, players were prompted to select a class when creating an account and prior to spawning. Before the release of the Wilderness in August 2001 players got to choose if they wanted to be a player killer or a non-player killer.
Depending on the class chosen, new players would start with a higher level in the appropriate skill at a compensation of lower skill levels in other areas and then be spawned in Lumbridge.
- Necromancer (7 EvilMagic, later removed after a major update to the magic skill, 10 Hits) - Started out with a black wizardhat and a regular staff.
- Wizard (7 GoodMagic or Magic after a major update to the magic skill, 10 Hits) - Started out with a blue (later black) wizardhat and a regular staff.
- Warrior (3 Attack, 3 Strength, 3 Defense, 12 Hits) - Started out with a bronze short sword and wooden shield.
- Miner (7 Mining, 10 Hits) - Started out with a pickaxe, which at that time was the only type available. These were later turned into bronze pickaxes.
- Initially the Miner class wasn't featured into the available classes. With the removal of the Necromancer class, the Miner class got introduced into the game
- Ranger (6 Ranged, 12 Hits) - Started out with a shortbow and 10 arrows. These later became bronze arrows after the release of the Fletching skill and multiple arrow types.
- Adventurer (2 Attack, 2 Strength, 2 Defense, 2 Ranged, 2 PrayGood/PrayEvil, 2 GoodMagic/EvilMagic, 11 Hits) - In the early days they started out with a tinderbox, a bronze hatchet, jug and a pot. Later on with the removal of PrayGood/PrayEvil and GoodMagic/EvilMagic their corresponding stats became 1 Prayer and 2 Magic. In a later update adventurers would no longer start at level 2 Magic and Ranged, but level 1, and get 10 Hits instead. With said update, they no longer had jug and pot but instead, one piece of cooked meat.
When the class system was removed and prior to tutorial island, all new players would start with a bronze axe, one piece of cookedmeat, and tinderbox, which was the same equipment given to the players in the past if they had selected the adventurer class. Tutorial Island was released on 24 September 2002.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Room you spawn in that Guide is also in
Room that has Controls guide
You can see a sinking Fishing Trawler
Area with Fishing instructor
Area with Mining instructor
Room with Quest advisor
Area with Wilderness guide
Room with Magic Instructor
Room with Fatigue expert
Room with Community instructor
Area with Boatman
You can see a sunken Fishing Trawler
References[edit | edit source]