Thieving is one of the 18 skills in RuneScape Classic. It requires patience and a bit of luck. Certain quests require a specific thieving level to progress, such as the Temple of Ikov or Legends Quest. Visit the thieving article for more information on this skill.
Getting started (Levels 1 - 5)[edit | edit source]
- The first thing you should do to start training the Thieving skill, is to pickpocket Men which can be found all over RuneScape.
- Each successful pickpocket will yield 3 coins, along with 8 Thieving experience.
- Simply pickpocket men 49 times to obtain 392 Thieving experience, which is enough experience to advance to level 5 thieving. Now continue with the next section.
Skill mastery (Levels 5 - 99)[edit | edit source]
Head to East Ardougne and do the following:
- Steal from Baker's Stalls until level 25 Thieving.
- Pickpocket Warriors until level 40 Thieving.
- Pickpocket Guards until level 70 Thieving.
- Pickpocket Paladins to level 99 Thieving.
Found below is a table of what a player would gain if they followed the above route for getting 99 Thieving:
|466 Baker's Stalls||466 cakes||7,456 xp|
|1,130 Warriors||20,340 coins||29,380 xp|
|14,998 Guards||449,940 coins||700,406.6 xp|
|80,900 Paladins||80,900 chaos-runes
|97,494 victims||13,034,042.6 xp|
XP rates[edit | edit source]
|Name||Thieving Level||Location||Approx. XP/h|
|Rock Cake||15||Gu'tanoth (rock cake stall)||14,400|
|Guard||40||Second floor Varrock Castle||30,000|
|Guard||71||Second floor Varrock Castle||34,000|
|Paladin||71||Second floor King Lathas' castle||43,500|
At around level 60, Knights are not as fast as Guards because knights are less populated throughout the game and where they are found, they have a tendency to walk a lot which reduces experience rates substantially. Also, their fail rate is still rather high at this level and so guards are recommended. At level 70+, it is recommended for the player to train on Paladins, which can be found on the second floor of King Lathas' castle.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- It is advisable to sell the cakes stolen from the Baker's Stall back to its owner only if the shop stock is less than 33. Otherwise, save them up for use as a free source of healing when pickpocketing.
- Be wary of Paladins if your hits are low; they can easily kill you in 3 hits if your hits are around level 10 / low
- While you can pickpocket Rogues located in level 55 Wilderness, it is not advisable to do as a training method. This is because it's very dangerous due to the possibility of PKers in the area.
- The Baker's Stall in East Ardougne can be used to obtain free food while training thieving by pickpocketing in the East Ardougne market.