For information on training this skill, see Smithing training.
Smithing is one of the 18 skills in RuneScape Classic. This production skill allows players to smelt ores gathered through Mining into metal bars and forge those bars into metal items: armour and weapons. It is a popular skill to train as selling equipment can make a profit, but also lets you provide more easy access to this equipment for you and your friends.
A player smelting steel. A coal bubble
is visible above their head.
Smelting is the process of extracting a metal bar from a metal ore. To obtain a metal bar, a player must use an ore of the desired metal with a furnace. Some metals require multiple ores, and some require coal to be added to the furnace to raise the furnace's temperature. Popular furnaces include the one in Al Kharid (close to a bank and easy to access) and Shilo Village (closest to a bank, but requiring the Shilo Village quest).
Alternatively, players with level 43 Magic can choose to smelt their bars using the Superheat item spell. While costing 1 Nature-Rune and 4 Fire runes, using this spell can have several benefits:
- The player can emerge from a mine with a full inventory of bars, instead of a full inventory of ores which will smelt into only a fraction of the bars. This is particular useful for higher level bars which require a lot of coal.
- The player receives both Smithing and Magic experience.
- The player saves time by not having to commute between a bank and a furnace.
- The player is granted a 100% success rate in smelting iron ore instead of the usual 50%.
||Fatigue SU (%)
* Smelting iron ore has a 50% chance of success, which can be increased to 100% when using Superheat item.
** Smelting a gold bar will yield 33.75 experience with the gauntlets of goldsmithing equipped.
Although most of the time the Smithing skill requires for players to make use of the hammer, there are some additional tools that they may seldomly make use of. The Gauntlets of goldsmithing is a quest reward from Family Crest and although the Cannon ammo mould is tradable, players still need to have completed the Dwarf Cannon quest to make use of it.
Forging requires using a metal bar on an anvil with hammer in inventory.
Anvils are located at the following places:
Bronze is the lowest tier metal available in game. Every Bronze bar used increases the players fatigue by 0.267%.
- Fatigue: 0.533% per bar smithed
- Fatigue: 0.8% per bar smithed*
* Smithing cannonballs at a furnace requires a Cannon ammo mould from the Dwarf Cannon quest. The fatigue received is 0.533% per cannonball.
* Smithing Golden Bowls requires the player to have started the Legend's Quest
- Fatigue: 1.066% per bar smithed
- Fatigue: 1.333% per bar smithed
- Fatigue: 1.6% per bar smithed
Legendary Dragon Square Shield[edit | edit source]
At level 60 Smithing you can repair the Dragon Square Shield. You will need both the left square half, an extremely rare drop from various monsters, and the right square half, purchased from Legends' Guild store for 750,000 coins. Hammering the shield at an anvil gives 75 Smithing experience.
The following quests give Smithing experience rewards:
- Tourist Trap - ability to smith dart tips and a choice of 2 x
- The Knight's Sword -
- Hero's Quest -
- Legend's Quest - ability to smith Golden Bowls and a choice of 4 x
- Coal can be used on a furnace with iron ore in the player's inventory to smelt steel bars. This does not work with any other bar which requires coal to create.
- Drinking a dwarven stout temporarily increases a player's Smithing level by 1
- The first player to gain 99 Smithing was Bluerose13x 
- If a player were to mine their own ores entirely, a player smelting and smithing 129 bronze bars from level 1 to 15 and superheating and smithing 347,521 iron bars from level 15 to 99 would accrue 12,167,760 Mining experience.
- If a player were to mine their own ores entirely, a player smelting and smithing 129 bronze bars from level 1 to 15, smelting and smithing 292 iron bars from level 15 to 30 (having average smelting luck) and smelting and smithing 236,835 steel bars from level 30 to 99 would accrue 22,524,280 Mining experience.