Influence could be used to buy silk from the silk trader in Al Kharid at a lower price, and possibly was used to haggle with Baraek on the price of fur. There were further plans for the influence skill to be used to barter and persuade non-player characters to do things, but instead, the influence skill was reworked as the quest point system on 10 May 2001.
The Champions' Guild was reported to require the highest possible influence at any given time for players to access it. However, due to the way influence was inconsistently awarded (compared to quest points), it's possible some exceptions to this rule were granted.
Quests that awarded influence[edit | edit source]
Note: values are common range, since the reward varied depending on the influence level they were done at
- Romeo & Juliet - 4 influence
- Demon Slayer - 3 - 4 influence
- Ernest the Chicken - 3 - 4 influence
- Vampire Slayer - 2 - 3 influence (Commonly players had 15 influence at this point)
- Prince Ali Rescue - 2 - 3 influence
- Spy Quest - 2 - 3 influence (Players had 19 or 20 influence here)
- Goblin Diplomacy - 2 - 3 influence
Early March 2001 the maximum possible influence was 15.
Early May 2001 the maximum possible influence was 19.
The expected maximum amount of influence before the transition to Quest Points in 10 May was 22.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The act of influencing an NPC in-game was implemented in 2005, with the item Ring of charos in RuneScape 2.
- Although Influence was displayed as a skill, it has been believed that didn't follow a level curve and was more like a stat, similar to Quest Points. If the player had Influence 10/10 it merely indicated they had accumulated 10 influence from quests.
- Recent findings, however, indicate that probably influence received from quests could have followed the level curve, depending on the influence level they did the quest at. (Hungarian forum speaking about game mechanics)
- As opposed to the Quest point system, where every quest gives at least 1 point, in the early days only selected quests gave influence. 
References[edit | edit source]
- "First Runescape Newsletter is out!!" Fur merchant now give more money for furs i got 12 gold for one, Rodrigos who noted this think it is related with influence, somone with less influence have to try so we will know ;-).