Forum:Moving the RuneScape Classic Wiki/Plan for Move
Because of Wikia's recent implant of the new Oasis skin, the RSC Wiki is thinking about moving to a new wiki host. Please read on:
Transition Schedule[edit source]
- October 6, 2010
- All logged in users will be able to “switch on” the new look for themselves on any wiki they visit.
- October 20, 2010
- All users will see the new look on every wiki.
- Logged in users will have the temporary option of viewing and editing wikis in Monaco.
- November 3, 2010
- The option to use Monaco will be removed.
Choices of New Wiki Hosts, From Best to OK[edit source]
What we Would Earn[edit source]
- Monaco (ShoutWiki only for the time being), Vector (Referata only for the time being)
- No mandatory Oasis skin
- No useless Wikia patches
- More freedom
- MUCH less ads
- No video ads
- No picture ads
- Only text ads
What we Would Lose[edit source]
- No more edit counts (Which is technically wonderful, for editors would be equal and won't have a fake sense of higher-level authority over other users, and contributions would still exist)
- No more forums (Which is not truly correct, we just would not have forums directly on the wiki, we would need to make a forum on a third-party site, copy archive Yew Grove and forum threads to it, and link it to the new wiki, which is easy)
How to Move[edit source]
We would need to get a recent database dump (from Special:Statistics), then import it to our new wiki (by Special:Import), which would import all pages, history, etc. Images would need to be imported by sending a request to our new wiki host to transfer them (ShoutWiki actually set up a portion of their sites just for this). The splendid thing about database dump is that it also transfers all ediors accounts, including talk pages, user pages, and contributions, so editors will not need to start all over.
If we do move, we will split up into groups which will handle a certain part of the moving process.
- Database Group: Would transfer the database to the new wiki
- Image Group: Would send a request to the wiki host for a image transfer
- Forum Group: Would set up a third-party forum, copy archived Yew Grove and forum threads to it, and link it to the new wiki
- Link Group: Would create and fix non-existant pages which existed before the move (Examples: Help and Community pages would need to be manually copied and pasted)
- Supervising Group: Would supervise the entire moving process and would inform the public community of recent moving events
If you have comments on the possible move, please write them on the Yew Grove thread, located here .